A four-month-old kitten is hailed a hero after saving his family from toxic gas poisoning in Michigan

Meet Thor, the kitten turned hero for one Michigan family. In a miraculous story published by Inside Edition, four-month-old ginger cat Thor is credited with saving the lives of his family members.

On August 30th, a recent power outage in the Stamper family’s neighborhood prompted them to connect the generator in the garage to power their household. However, unbeknownst to all the family members, the garage door inadvertently started closing, causing lethal carbon monoxide gas to leak inside the home.

Asleep in their beds, mother and father Heidi and Ronald Stamper were unaware. Young tween daughter Paige, 13, and son Quinn, 11, were also fast asleep in their bed as the toxic fumes trickled inside. 

Thor to the rescue

The four-month-old kitten, Thor’s intuition, took over as he ferociously alerted his sleeping family to the danger by screeching his head off. Thor relentlessly kept alerting his family to the point of near exhaustion.

At this point, his mom Heidi took Thor outside to collect himself and recover. Afterward, mother Heidie and Thor returned to the house, where she went back to sleep.

It was not long before Thor meowed again at the top of his longs. This time around, he woke the children, who alerted their sleepy parents and got them outside in time.

Lessons learned

Farmington Hills Fire Chief Jon Unruh described how this incident is a prime example of the dangers of carbon monoxide and how quickly it can spread and be fatal.

Let this incident with the Stamper family be a teachable lesson to keep generators outdoors. The Stamper family was hospitalized and treated for carbon monoxide poison following the August incident. 

Car in garage
According to the CDC, more than 430 people die annually in the United States from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. Pic Credit: Logan Meis/Unsplash

Carbon monoxide statistics

According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), at least 430 people die annually from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. And about 50,000 people in the United States are taken to the emergency department each year due to this accidental toxic gas poisoning.

Helpful tips

  • Avoid using a gas stove top or oven to heat a home.
  • Do not leave the motor running in a vehicle parked in an enclosed garage.
  • Do not run a generator or any gasoline-powered engine inside a basement, garage, or other enclosed structure. 

To learn more about the dangers of carbon monoxide gas and more prevention tips, visit the CDC website.

Wrap up

Pets can do miraculous things aside from playing fetch and other tricks. Thanks to the intuitive quick wit, intuition, and perseverance of a four-month-old kitten named Thor, this family can continue to make lasting memories together. 

What did you think of this remarkable story? Share your thoughts in the comments. 

Please be sure to share this story with a friend.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x